Skip to main content

My First Sub 1g Airplane - 0.98g

To start off my blog I would like to start by going over my first chain of wildly ambitious engineering projects - micro r/c planes...




This was the first r/c plane that I built that weighed in at under 1 gram. I built this back in April of '07. It has a 5" wing span, 2" chord, and its about 6" long. The flight times were in the 4-5 minute range on a full charge.

It was constructed of carbon fiber rod from 0.5mm to 0.25mm in diameter. The covering on the surfaces is called OS film and is made by DuPont. 'OS' stands for 'One Sided' because the film was so thin - maybe an internal department joke. It is on the order of 1 to 0.5 microns thick.

The electronics consisted of a 10mAh Lithium Polymer battery (1S), a 3.2mm diameter brushed motor driving a 1" diameter propeller, an electromagnetic actuator to control the rudder, and an infrared receiver which was capable of throttle and rudder control. Here is a full breakdown of component weights:

Weight Breakdown:
Airframe + Actuator: 150mg
10mah Li-Poly Battery: 400mg
IR RX: 120mg (76mg sensor, 44 mg receiver)
Stock 3.2mm Motor: 270mg
Prop: 10mg
Glue + Wires + Misc: 30mg

Total Weight: 0.98g

I went on to make some power plant improvements to this plane later on. I replaced the battery with a lighter variant and replace the brushed motor with higher power direct-drive and geared brushless versions. This brought the weight down, increased flight time, and increased the power:weight ratio. I also replaced the IR RX with a newer, smaller, lighter version. All this brought the weight down to 670mg. The wing loading was low enough where I could fly over my head and the plane would gain altitude due to the heated air rising from around my body. 


Original Post: 0.98g Plane @ RcGroups









Comments

Other People Thought These Were Cool..

Micro Servos

When I started to take a break from microscopic flying vehicles in 2010 and migrate towards some larger, easier to work with, models (5-20g) I realized that magnetic actuators just weren't going to cut it for control (rudder, elevator, ailerons). Magnetic actuators are heavy and draw power continuously when deflected away from neutral. I needed servos. Servos would provide lots of pulling force for their weight but at the cost of mechanical complexity. Since servos at the weight I needed didn't exist or were out of my price range I decided to further over complicate the situation and build my own. I started by designing a simple linear servo (lead screw design). The picture above is of my 400mg variant which has a throw of about 0.2", resolution of 0.0015", and can pull about a 25g load. The motor is a brushed 3.2mm diameter coreless design by Shicoh. The gears used are module 0.15 and can be gotten from http://www.kkpmo.com/ . The threaded rod is 0000-160, which

3D Printed Mechanical Pencil

What better way is there to spend multiple consecutive weekends than sitting at your computer, redesigning a mechanism that has existed for decades, all to be able to 3D print something that can be bought at the store for less than $1? ... That's right, anything. However, when your co-worker throws down the gauntlet there is only one thing to do. Take it up.

Nerf Desolator Mods & Upgrades

Ever since I was a kid, I enjoyed playing with Nerf guns blasters. I just liked shooting things around the house, which included my brother. I remember shooting suction cup darts at our CRT TV while watching shows (aiming at the characters / actors). It was way too much fun.